The Best Five Monsoon Destinations Near Pune
The monsoons are here, and it's time to make the most of them! The Western Ghats, India's mountain range, offer a plethora of places that come alive during the monsoons. From lush green mountains, waterfalls, and stunning lakes to winding roads and foggy valleys, the list of places to explore is endless. If you're in or around Pune, here are five of the best monsoon places near Pune you must visit. These locations have something for everyone, whether you want to relax away from the hustle and bustle or engage in some adventure activities with your friends.So, grab your institutional rainwear and umbrellas as we guide you through some of the highly sought-after monsoon destinations in Pune.
Lonavala is a small hill station in the Western Ghats, about 64 kilometres from Pune. It is known for its picturesque valleys, dams, and lakes. The monsoon season is the best time to visit Lonavala because the hills are lush green and the waterfalls are in all their glory. Lonavala is surrounded by numerous trekking trails that offer stunning views of the surroundings. Some of the popular trekking destinations near Lonavala include Duke's Nose, Lion's Point, and Rajmachi Fort.
Things to do in Lonavala:
- Visit Lonavala Lake, a popular spot for picnics and boating.
- Explore the Karla Caves, an ancient Buddhist excavation with intricate rock-cut architecture.
- Take a scenic drive or hike to the Rajmachi Fort, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Visit the Lonavala Wax Museum, which features life-size wax figures of famous personalities.
- Shop for local souvenirs, such as Lonavala's famous chikki (a type of hard candy made from jaggery and peanuts).
- Enjoy the beautiful Della Adventure Park, one of the best adventure parks in India.
- Visit the Lonavala Bazaar, where you can find a variety of handicrafts, clothes, and other items.
- Enjoy the beautiful nature at Lonavala Kala Handi Dam.
- Take a walk at the Lonavala night market.
- Enjoy the beautiful Lonavala Sunset Point.
Mahabaleshwar is a popular Western Ghats hill station in Maharashtra. You can rest assured of exploring picturesque landscapes and a cool climate. Mahabaleshwar is a great place to visit during the monsoon season, as it offers breathtaking views of the surrounding hills and valleys. The rainfall transforms the landscape into a verdant paradise, making it a perfect destination for nature lovers and photography enthusiasts.
Things to do in Mahabaleshwar:
- Visit Vienna Lake, a popular spot for boating and picnics.
- Take a scenic drive or hike to Wilson Point, the highest point in Mahabaleshwar, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Explore the Mahabaleshwar Temple, a sacred Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Visit the Mapro Garden, a popular spot for fruit tasting and shopping for local produce.
- Take a dip in the natural hot springs at Panchgani.
- Enjoy the beautiful nature at Lingmala Waterfall.
- Visit the Pratapgarh Fort, an ancient fort that offers views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Enjoy the beautiful view from Arthur's Seat, a popular viewpoint in Mahabaleshwar.
If you like less crowded places and would like to enjoy some time in the hills, head to Matheran instead. It's a small town located around two hours from Pune and offers lovely views of the surrounding valley. Matheran is known for its lush green surroundings and peaceful atmosphere. People visit Matheran from July to September, when the rains make the place even more beautiful. Don't forget your umbrella though, as it rains quite often here!
Things to do in Matheran:
- Take a scenic toy train ride from Neral to Matheran, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Explore Charlotte Lake, a popular spot for boating and picnics.
- Visit One Tree Hill Point, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Take a walk on the Matheran Heritage Walk, a 2-hour guided tour that takes you through the town's history and culture.
- Visit Alexander Point, a popular viewpoint in Matheran.
- Enjoy the beautiful nature at Echo Point.
- Visit the Matheran Market, where you can find a variety of handicrafts, clothes, and other items.
- Visit Louisa Point, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
Amboli is a small hill station located in the Western Ghats of Maharashtra. It is one of the best monsoon places near Pune, as it offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The place is also known for its dense forests, which are home to a variety of flora and fauna. Amboli is a great place to enjoy the rain and get away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Things to do in Amboli:
- Explore the Amboli Ghat, a popular spot for trekking and hiking.
- Visit the Amboli Waterfall, a beautiful waterfall that cascades down from a height of about 690 feet.
- Take a scenic drive or hike to Sunset Point, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Visit the Mahadevgad Fort, an ancient fort that offers views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Visit the Hiranyakeshi Temple, a sacred Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Enjoy the beautiful nature at Amboli National Park.
- Visit the Amboli Bazaar, where you can find a variety of handicrafts, clothes, and other items.
- Visit Shirgaonkar Point, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
If you're looking to experience monsoons in a more remote location, Saputara is a perfect choice. This hill station in Gujarat is around six hours from Pune, but it's worth the drive for its serene atmosphere and lush greenery. Be sure to buy raincoat online in advance as there aren't many shops here selling rain gear or other essentials.
Things to do in Saputara:
- Visit Saputara Lake, a popular spot for boating and picnics.
- Explore the Saputara Museum, which showcases the history and culture of the region.
- Visit Table Point, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Visit the Step Garden, a popular spot for nature walks and bird watching.
- Visit the Saputara Bazaar, where you can find a variety of handicrafts, clothes, and other items.
- Visit the Rose Garden, which is home to a variety of beautiful roses.
What to pack for a monsoon getaway
Here are some items you may want to consider packing for a monsoon getaway:
- Rain gear: Pack a rainwear for family, an umbrella, and waterproof boots or shoes.
- Warm Clothing: Due to the rainy and cool weather, pack some warm clothing such as a fleece jacket, sweaters, and thermal wear.
- Waterproof backpack: Pack all your belongings in a waterproof backpack to keep them dry.
- Mosquito repellent: The monsoon season is also the breeding season for mosquitoes, so pack a mosquito repellent to protect yourself.
- First aid kit: Include bandages, pain relievers, and other basic first aid items.
- Camera: Get a waterproof camera or protective case to capture the beautiful landscape and scenery.
- Power bank and charger: Pack a power bank and charger to keep your phone and other electronic devices charged.
- Snacks and water: Pack some snacks and water to keep yourself hydrated and nourished during the trip.
- Personal hygiene items: pack items like towels, soap, shampoo, and a toothbrush to maintain personal hygiene.
- Entertainment items: Pack a book or a portable music player to keep yourself entertained during the trip.
Pune is surrounded by some of the most scenic monsoon spots in India. From lush green hills to tranquil cascading waterfalls, these five best monsoon places near Pune are sure to make your trip memorable. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or an adventurous hike, these spots have something for everyone. So pack up your raincoats and get ready to explore the beauty of nature during this enchanting season!